Turkey deep fryers have surged in popularity in recent years, and many
home cooks will be using them to create the perfect Thanksgiving bird.
Even when used correctly, however, turkey deep fryers can be extremely
dangerous, as they are filled with large amounts of boiling oil that can
sputter, causing severe burns or even starting a fire.
Approximately 4,300 fires occur every year on Thanksgiving, according to
the U.S. Fire Administration. The vast majority of these fires are cooking-related,
and many are attributable to deep-frying accidents. Cooking mishaps cause
nearly $30 million in property damage, thousands of injuries, and several deaths.
Keep your family and friends safe this Thanksgiving by observing these
turkey deep fryer tips:
- Never leave your fryer unattended!
- Make sure your turkey is completely thawed and dry before adding it to
the hot oil. Wet and/or partially frozen turkeys can cause oil to splatter.
- Deep fry your turkey outside, away from buildings or any materials that
could easily catch fire. Never use a fryer in, on, or under any flammable
- Keep small children and pets away from your deep fryer at all times to
prevent the possibility of the fryer being knocked over.
- Use the right amount of cooking oil. Many turkey frying accidents result
from too much cooking oil, which can spill over the pot and catch fire.
- Cover bare skin when adding or removing the turkey from the oil.
- Frequently monitor the oil temperature.
- If you see any smoke rising from the fryer, turn it off immediately.
- If a fire occurs, do not attempt to douse it with water. Immediately dial
9-1-1 and move your family to a safe location until help arrives.
By following these tips, you can ensure a safe, happy, and delicious Thanksgiving
for you and your family.
Washington, D.C. Personal Injury Attorneys
Sometimes cooking accidents are just that – accidents. But sometimes
they are the result of negligence or a defective,
dangerous product. If you have been injured in a cooking accident, we advise you to speak
with a personal injury lawyer in Washington, D.C. Simeone & Miller, LLP,
LLP has helped thousands of injured clients obtain compensation after
an accident. Depending on the circumstances of your case, you too may
be eligible to collect compensation to cover out-of-pocket costs related
to your injury. Learn more by requestion a
free consultation with our firm.
Considering a personal injury claim? Consult with our team for legal advice: