You assume that, with the slow speeds that go hand-in-hand with traffic jams, it is close to impossible for car accidents to occur. Yet, you may be sadly mistaken. Follow along to find out how traffic congestion might lead to an accident and how a proficient Washington, D.C. car accident lawyer at Simeone & Miller, LLP can help you handle this unfortunate situation.
In what ways might traffic congestion lead to car accidents?
Drivers often grow frustrated when they are stuck in traffic congestion. In an attempt to get out of the jam, drivers may resort to negligent driving. Examples of how such negligence might lead to a car accident are as follows:
- A driver may begin to drive while distracted: that is, drivers may be tempted to take out their phones to pass the time in the slow pace of traffic.
- A driver may begin to tailgate: that is, a driver may tighten the space between them and the car in front of them, to speed up their pace of progression, and ultimately hit them.
- A driver may begin to ignore traffic signals: that is, a driver may run a red light or stop sign, to speed up their pace of progression, and ultimately collide with another driver at the intersection.
- A driver may illegally U-turn: that is, a driver may attempt to turn around, to find a faster alternative route, and ultimately get T-boned by oncoming traffic.
- A driver may illegally drive on the shoulder of the road: that is, a driver may change into the emergency lane, to pass up the traffic jam, and ultimately get struck by a speeding police car or ambulance.
Should I speak with a lawyer after my accident?
You may have safely sat in the traffic congestion, patiently waiting for it to disperse. So it is understandably disheartening when you still get involved in a car accident. If this is your case, then it is recommended that you speak with a car accident lawyer almost immediately after your crash.
You should consider legal advice regardless of whether you have yet to fully understand the extent of your personal injuries and car damages. This is because an experienced lawyer may listen to your recount of the events that led up to your car accident and determine the best course of action from there. This may entail guiding you on what evidence to collect; what medical treatment to seek; which witnesses to contact; how to file an insurance claim; and more.
At the end of the day, when it comes to your personal injury claim, you need a talented Washington, D.C. auto accident lawyer by your side. This is why you must contact Simeone & Miller, LLP today.